Last x Days Posts  1 | 3 | 7 Days  Search  Topics  Tree View  Help
  Soarer Central * Track and Major Rebuild Car Projects * UZZ32-0001556 Revival Previous Previous    Next Next  

Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Reg: 08-2011

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Tuesday, September 14, 2021 - 09:34 am, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just thought I'd share the story of UZZ32 #556.
I bought this car as a parts car sight unseen, and thought it was a lot worse than it was.

Body is a bit rough, ran funny, but seemed like a solid car, wasn't 'that' bad. I was a bit torn, as I really didn't need it. But eventually came to the conclusion that because there are not many left, maybe I should give this one a 2nd chance at life.

It's been passed around a bit, as had a few issues, some hydraulic line leaks, brakes were questionable, suspension bounce, run like crap, etc.
But under this there were some good points. I tinkered with it a little bit to assess it better, once I got it running properly I found that although there was bounce it was perfectly working otherwise.

So after making the decision I started the work about 6 weeks ago.
This is a departure from #805 which has been a long term fussy project that I want to be perfect.

My goal for #556 is not to make perfect, its to make a good mechanically solid uzz32. Be able to drive it and not worry too much about it.
Will certainly be tracking it as well.

I'll let pictures explain in order the process without too many more words. Haha!

As it arrived from Sydney:

Upload

Upload

Upload

Work begins:

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

All in all a lot of work was done, rebuilding and redying the door cards, console etc. Everything on bottom half except seat.
Mechanical work, servicing, brake system rebuild, suspension accumulators etc.

Next steps:
I intend on finishing the detailing, trying to recover a turd here.
Will respray the front clip potentially. Rest is coming up pretty good.
Also have to repair a few tears in the seats which will update on.

Other than that I intend on driving the %&*@$ out of it. Until I finish fussing with #805, in which case I'm not sure what I'll do with #556. But it certainly has been saved from the grave.

Hope this was interesting. :-)
Blake Gloyn
Goo Roo
manawatu
soarer JZZ30 TT

Reg: 02-2006

Tuesday, September 14, 2021 - 06:43 pm, by:  Blake Gloyn (Blakenz) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good on you, and thanks for sharing the photos. ENJOY!!!
Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Tuesday, October 26, 2021 - 09:22 am, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So a bit has been happening since my last post about this car.
Some good some bad.
Did manage to drive it around quite a bit, and put a good 1500km on it.
Also got a bonnet with better paint, so front end is half presentable now.

Upload

The Bad:
original fuel pump died, I thought this seemed fairly normal so I just replaced it with new and didn't think about it again.
A couple hundred km later (on the Queensland NSD Soarer meet) that pump started struggling making weird noises then barely got me home.

Pulled it out and at closer inspection the tank was horrible, pre-filter caked in gunk and tank full of rust.

Upload

Upload

So I unfortunately knew I had to take the tank out to have cleaned.

So far I've had the tank acid dipped/cleaned and have got the tank back looking nice and new.

Upload

Upload

I have purchased a new pump (bosch this time), however a bit big and not sure if I've gone way to overkill. But in theory it will be good for any forced induction I add to this car later on (540lph).

Upload

Upload

However the one thing I was not sure about is would it cause issues running off stock FPECU, or even running at 14v 100% of the time. Will see how it goes and might make a PWM controller for it to meter it if I think its overcoming the stock fuel reg at 14v, or the FPECU cannot run it.
Thoughts?

Will reinstall the tank hopefully this week and will keep you all up to date.

Another thing I was considering is putting my old 18s from my uzz30 back in the day on the 32, any thoughts?

Upload
James Buchan
Goo Roo
V
Vvti twin turbo 6 speed manual

Reg: 10-2008

Tuesday, October 26, 2021 - 09:32 am, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job. I like the wheels you've got from your UZZ30.
Roland Elliott
TryHard
New South Wales
uzz32 1uz-fe

Reg: 08-2014

Tuesday, October 26, 2021 - 03:40 pm, by:  Roland Elliott (Aussie2013) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pump may be overkill, tank looks great now, 18's are fine on a 32, I have a spare set of 19" and they are ok as well, depends on your tyre width and profile as well.
Tai Johnsen
Goo Roo
QLD
JZZ30 Pov Manual LSD & black! + 96 JZA80

Reg: 04-2006

Wednesday, October 27, 2021 - 08:20 pm, by:  Tai Johnsen (Privatejohnsen) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, i think you'll outflow the reg with the 540.

I did with a 340lph, but maybe the v8 will be different
Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Wednesday, October 27, 2021 - 09:03 pm, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest I wonder if I should just order a 255lph and not run this big one Tai.
Goetz von Gneisenau
Tinkerer
QLD
UZZ31 V8

Reg: 03-2019

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 06:33 am, by:  Goetz von Gneisenau (Sunshine) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Install a denso.. unless the noisy walbro isn't an issue
James Buchan
Goo Roo
V
Vvti twin turbo 6 speed manual

Reg: 10-2008

Friday, October 29, 2021 - 01:03 pm, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember having a Walbro GSS342 (255lp/h) Back in the day on my Vvti turbo. Gosh it was noisy. Updated to a Walbro 460 - not only does it flow way more, but it's also much much quieter.
Tai Johnsen
Goo Roo
QLD

Sunday, October 31, 2021 - 02:13 pm, by:  Tai Johnsen (Privatejohnsen) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new walbros are much quieter.

I think 540 is massive overkill and you will just heat up the fuel.

Check what the minimum voltage is too, because some don't like running on 9V.
Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Monday, November 01, 2021 - 08:57 am, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Tai, I ended up just deciding it was ridiculous overkill. I've since ordered a 255lph and expect it to arrive today or tomorrow.

Goetz to be honest Walbro 255 aren't noisy, but the copies are noisy, at least as far as I know.

Will let you know how loud this one is when its in, I still want a bit bigger than stock, as this car will see boost early next year. (once the rest of the car is stable and I've put more Kms on it).

Would like to have the car back on the road by Wednesday so can take it with me down to willowbank for the road trip drag challenge on friday to hard park haha!
Goetz von Gneisenau
Tinkerer
QLD
UZZ31 V8

Reg: 03-2019

Wednesday, November 03, 2021 - 09:47 pm, by:  Goetz von Gneisenau (Sunshine) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Previous owner installed a walbro 255 when troubleshooting a fault which turned out to be leaking capacitors in the ECU. It's an original walbro as I still have the box with original denso pump somewhere. It's definitely a noisy pump, even deaf old me finds it annoying. Maybe when I am bored one day might install a sweet new denso
Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 07:42 pm, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So just updating everyone.
Car has been back on the road for a couple of weeks now.

All has been awesome, actually been daily driving it to work.

Next things on the list are:
- PDR
- Few minor paint touch ups, then ceramic coat
- Refinish and fit my mesh wheels (pictured above)
- Fit lip and rear wing
- Start looking at spare wheel well area, and planning boost.

Plan is evolving, but the goal is to continue to keep it clean and original on the outside, other than wheels.

Last week I took a few photos of it in a carpark with the SLR.

Upload

Upload

Upload

............ who knows... might even post up about the other 32 thats been neglected and forgotten about in the shed the last year.
Roland Elliott
TryHard
New South Wales
uzz32 1uz-fe

Wednesday, November 17, 2021 - 10:50 pm, by:  Roland Elliott (Aussie2013) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking nicer, got to get rid of that L on the Bum.
Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 09:39 am, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just popping in another quick little update.

Been enjoying driving this thing lately and need to learn to stop dallying it but its so temping just to drive it to work all the time.

On the side lines I've put on my old 18s from my uzz30 back in the day, with new Zeknova Supersport Rs's.

Upload

We actually took the car out to lakeside raceway on Sunday morning, for a bit of a shake down; as the intention all along was that this car would see some mild track work.

Was a great morning overall with a few friends, while I didn't set any amazing times it was a good first track day in a new car and a new track.

A few limiting factors were, rear left disc started wobbling like a monster (warped), tranny needs a cooler and me being a woosie haha.
Only got a 1:15min lap after 14 laps on the day before I called it.

I'll revisit after resolving the above in the coming months, would like to bring the time down to somewhere between a 1:05-1:10 to be happy in stock form.

Here's a quick bit of footage I got, some corners I'm very happy with and look forward to increasing my consistency so I can bring the overall times down. :-)

However had an excellent time! Recommend track days to everyone.

https://youtu.be/U39BL2sOYNs
Mike Beck
Goo Roo
New Zealand
3UZ-FE V8 4.3 UZZ32

Reg: 11-2005

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 11:10 am, by:  Mike Beck (Gold_40gt) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful. Hard to believe this car was likely to be bought buy a moron and ruined or parted out. Now its got a loving owner that took it on a track to enjoy, what a difference!!
Tai Johnsen
Goo Roo
QLD

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 11:10 am, by:  Tai Johnsen (Privatejohnsen) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're brave! Lakeside is a renowned car killer track....

No run-off and concrete barriers everywhere...
Mike Beck
Goo Roo
New Zealand
3UZ-FE V8 4.3 UZZ32

Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 12:00 pm, by:  Mike Beck (Gold_40gt) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tai Johnsen wrote on Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 11:10 am:

That just make's it more fun!
Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Friday, February 04, 2022 - 08:41 am, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tai Johnsen wrote on Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 11:10 am:

Yeah it definitely contributed to my lap times, had it in my head that I was going to send it into a wall. Tbh I don't intend on visiting it often, but would like to go back to lay down a good lap and leave it at that haha!

Will be hitting up QR more regularly as QR is only 10min down road from me.

Mike Beck wrote on Thursday, February 03, 2022 - 12:00 pm:

That just make's it more fun!

Was fun that's for sure!
Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Tuesday, March 29, 2022 - 09:21 am, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#556 is still going strong. Been getting out in it quite a bit to various events and meet ups.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Thursday, July 21, 2022 - 11:36 am, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So another little mini project that was done.
Wheels were a bit tired and straightening was needed.
Much better now the wheels don't wobble.

Additionally while I had previously re-polished the lips, the center paint was flaking and needing some love.
Gave them all a sand and resprayed the centers in a metallic gunmetal.
At the same time I modified a set of old z20 caps, and painted the same base color.

Using some syringes I then filled the impression of the griffon logo with a metalic red that I color matched to the dark metalic red in the griffon badge itself.

Pretty happy with the results.
Wheels were already a bit dirty from a couple of weeks being on the car once I finished the caps.

Oh the fun of having shiny things, now I have to keep them clean.....

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload
Roland Elliott
TryHard
New South Wales
uzz32 1uz-fe

Thursday, July 21, 2022 - 06:54 pm, by:  Roland Elliott (Aussie2013) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking good, very Griffon"ey .
Mike Beck
Goo Roo
New Zealand
3UZ-FE V8 4.3 UZZ32

Sunday, July 24, 2022 - 11:33 pm, by:  Mike Beck (Gold_40gt) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think those wheels came up great Damo

Top effort!

Now onto the next thing, whatever that will be haha
Damien Nikiforides
TryHard
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Sunday, December 11, 2022 - 09:58 pm, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Further continued abuse!

#556 has been seeing some more outings.

Still in 100% stock form but more items refurbished and replaced I'm starting to get some confidence to push this car.

Got the times down to a 1:09 after moving out of base group as spending to much time overtaking. Hoping to come back and shave another few seconds off. I think the car easily has a 1:05 lap in it with the auto and stock power. However beyond this I think my issue begins to become power, which the 32 has approximately none haha.

Having excellent fun with this thing. Have left a link below of a lap from the dash cam.

I'm sure I'll be back out soon.

https://youtu.be/UiPQ2Hs1488

Upload

Upload
Peter Nitschke
Junk Filterer
South Australia
UZZ30 UZZ31

Reg: 11-2004

Monday, December 12, 2022 - 10:12 am, by:  Peter Nitschke (Pen) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

32's always look parked in the middle of a bend. Amazing!
Damien Nikiforides
TryHard
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Monday, December 12, 2022 - 10:33 am, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter Nitschke wrote on Monday, December 12, 2022 - 10:12 am:

The only give away is if you look closely its basically tearing the tires off the rims haha

Was probably pulling around a 1g in that corner at the time.

Add Your Message Here
Eye Candy
Click for full size
Bold text Italics Underline Center Text Upload photo from your hard drive Make a List Make a Table Make an Image Thumbnail Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Formatting Help

Username: Important Posting Information:
If asking a question, have you done a search to see if your question has already been answered?
Be aware that the use of SMS-speak eg "u" instead of "you" etc, will get your post deleted.
Password:
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message

Administration Administration      Log Out Log Out Previous Previous      Next Next