Last x Days Posts  1 | 3 | 7 Days  Search  Topics  Tree View  Help
  Soarer Central * Track and Major Rebuild Car Projects * James's VVTI Twin turbo Previous Previous    Next Next  

James Buchan
Goo Roo
V
Vvti twin turbo 6 speed manual

Reg: 10-2008

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Friday, January 28, 2022 - 04:19 pm, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had my 1J VVTI Soarer for years now and thought I'd try to document what I've done to it.
It started 100% stock. Since then it's had multiple ECU setups, injector setups, exhaust setups, even gearboxes. Currently using a V160 from an RZ Supra.

The car below;

Upload

Upload

I added a Tomei M8280 turbo. Great if you have supporting mods, horrible laggy thing if stock-ish. Car made 325rwkw and was fast in the top end, but not great on the street. Car by this point had a Haltech PS2000, and 1000cc injectors on E85.

Upload

Upload

A power figure alone does not describe how a car drives guys - so look at figures with a grain of salt.

After talking with Kurt Atzmuller, we came up with a mad idea. We saw that many people were getting great results with their CT12's highflowed by Glen Munro.
We also found a study Toyota themselves conducted whereby they concluded that the conventional CT12A turbos were best for peak power, maximum torque, good at low-speed torque, and response. The only spot they didn't do so well with was cost. Hence why Toyota fitted a CT15b to the VVTI motor.

Upload

By now we concluded that the factory manifold on the 1JZ VVTi was highly restrictive. By adding the CT12 manifolds and adapting them to suit the VVTI head, we made it way less restrictive with a known good manifold capable of supporting very large numbers. Another added benefit was shortening the exhaust path length and any sort of mixing from cylinders 1-3 from 4-6. The great performance people were seeing from the 1JZ non-VVTi motor with highflowed CT12's was only going to get better with this setup due to the VVTi head.

Kurt began to work his magic and help sort out the hot side, including all piping and the manifolds.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

It was then time to get Glen Munro from Munro racing turbochargers to whip up a set of highflowed CT12A's with all the best bits on them.
I have all the specs on these turbos if anyone wants them. Kurt sent the manifolds up to Glen in QLD to heavily port and test fit.

Upload

With the turbos and manifolds now done, it was all sent back to me, ready for assembly.

Upload

At this point, I also had my head totally refreshed. So new valve stem seals, titanium valve springs and 264/272 cams from Golbeys (I advised them of the turbos and my goals). Major service done and all other maintenance done such as new bushes, diff bushes and we're ready for a tune.

Upload

Now, the car was off to G-Force race solutions to put all the parts together. The car was now running a plug and play Haltech elite 2500, and on 98, the car made 303rwkw with a much flatter power curve compared to the Tomei M8280.
On e77, the car made a final figure of 414rwkw on 25psi. The car even has a rotary switch for varying boost modes from as little as 303rwkw all the way to 414rwkw.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

The car drives amazingly. It's smooth and refined, power comes on quickly with what I'd nearly classify as factory response, but with a modern-day power figure. On full boost, it is manic. Thanks to the Haltech elite 2500 running the Nexus Software package, the long term fuel trim is really good and actually quite economical if you run 98.

We were able to use all the factory twin-turbo parts such as waterneck, oil drain and return etc, so everything bar the intake pipes looks factory.
It's been a couple of years now and the car is faultless. I've added an oil cooler, but otherwise it's just routine maintenance now. Credit to the people involved. Kurt Atzmuller, Glen Munro, and Gerardo from G-force race solutions.

It's the most powerful CT12 equipped car in Australia, and possibly the world and as far as I know, the only VVTI 1J running these twins.
Project cars are rarely finished, but mine's as close to it as it'll ever be. I have no desire nor inclination to change the setup now. I guess that means it's pretty good!
Mike Beck
Goo Roo
New Zealand
3UZ-FE V8 4.3 UZZ32

Reg: 11-2005

Friday, January 28, 2022 - 07:55 pm, by:  Mike Beck (Gold_40gt) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's really awesome James. Nice write up!

It's great seeing the 1JZ CT12s being put to use rather than ditched, far too many bigger single swaps out there. There's something special about still using the twins & getting the most out of them, makes for a much cooler looking pipe setup, especially with Kurts art work.

303kw and 414kw are both respectable figures, heck Id be over the moon with 303kw in any car haha, I have yet to see over 200rwkw in any of my cars.

I've been in the planning of a low boost (5-7psi) setup on my 3UZ in the UZZ32 for a while now, but got lazy over the 12 months with other projects (540i + Surf) so put that on the back burner but keen to resume making the manifolds I half made. Its got an adaptor loom to a Link Extreme G4 ecu I made up to allow the stock ecu to still run the automatic 6 speed, hopefully it all works but I need to pull finger and get on with it. 4 Cars make it hard to focus though!

I can't imagine a real world need to get more power out of your setup. I think thats very well done and the graphs show quite a nice power band, breaking the stockish soarer output of 150rwkw at 3800rpm in the higher power mode, and 150rkw at 4100rpm in the 'lower' power mode. Those are quite decent figures to give a picture of the drivability this car would offer, especially when you can rev it to over 7500rpm telling by those charts!
James Buchan
Goo Roo
V

Friday, January 28, 2022 - 08:33 pm, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mike! Appreciate the kind words.

I was given the old CT12's for free back in the day, as people just ditched them for big singles.
I stashed them in my garage until realising I could do something useful with them.

I also really love seeing confused looks on people's faces when they see twins on a vvti motor. They're able to pinpoint that something is different but they can't put their finger on it.

I'm very keen to see a low boost setup on your 3UZ, all controlled by the Link G4. I hope once the manifolds are ready to go. The UZ platform responds very well to boost. You'll have a modern engine with plenty of poke in a car that handles as well as provides comfort. Certainly a good project for someone such as yourself who's no stranger to working on these cars.

On this setup, I erred on the side of caution with the turbine wheels and opted for the smaller (47mm) of the highflow options from Glen Munro, chasing response over peak power. My only real goal was to beat my old single Tomei in terms of response while matching it for power. Making additional power was nice.

As you said, there's no real-world need to get more power out of this setup, and when I take it for a drive I often find myself short-shifting, as it gets up and goes nicely, without the need to rev it all the way out.
Mike Beck
Goo Roo
New Zealand
3UZ-FE V8 4.3 UZZ32

Sunday, January 30, 2022 - 10:52 am, by:  Mike Beck (Gold_40gt) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh gosh silly me I didn't even put the two together you installed Twins on a VVTi. That's really interesting!

I've driven stock manual JZZ30 TT and VVTi and I can say while the vvti has a nice low - mid range the top end is a disapointment, where as the TT is stronger mid-top end, so more fun to drive harder I suppose. I can see the benefits of the vvti single turbo but throwing a stock spec twin turbo vvti would be interesting.

Of course yours is far beyond either of those performance wise!

James Buchan wrote on Friday, January 28, 2022 - 08:33 pm:

I take it for a drive I often find myself short-shifting, as it gets up and goes nicely, without the need to rev it all the way out.

I could totally see that! I like that kind of vibe, but also having the room to rev out far is nice too, when the mood calls for it.

James Buchan wrote on Friday, January 28, 2022 - 08:33 pm:

I'm very keen to see a low boost setup on your 3UZ, all controlled by the Link G4. I hope once the manifolds are ready to go. The UZ platform responds very well to boost. You'll have a modern engine with plenty of poke in a car that handles as well as provides comfort. Certainly a good project for someone such as yourself who's no stranger to working on these cars.

I've been quite pleased with how the manifolds are turning out, I know what needs to be done next (assisted with a computer design I've been refining for sometime) however it's so easy to procrastinate. I think I will get back into it this year though, literally thousands of dollars of parts accumulated for the project so it needs to be finished hehe
Mike Beck
Goo Roo
New Zealand
3UZ-FE V8 4.3 UZZ32

Sunday, January 30, 2022 - 10:54 am, by:  Mike Beck (Gold_40gt) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, is that a copper brass Koyorad radiator??
Tai Johnsen
Goo Roo
QLD
JZZ30 Pov Manual LSD & black! + 96 JZA80

Reg: 04-2006

Sunday, January 30, 2022 - 02:12 pm, by:  Tai Johnsen (Privatejohnsen) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice indeed.

The vvti's certainly help with spool and low down torque. You've essentially matched my response and power with twins by the look of it! (without having to go 1.5J and 3 turbos hahaha)

Very impressive
Mike Beck
Goo Roo
New Zealand
3UZ-FE V8 4.3 UZZ32

Sunday, January 30, 2022 - 08:58 pm, by:  Mike Beck (Gold_40gt) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tai Johnsen wrote on Sunday, January 30, 2022 - 02:12 pm:

3 turbos hahaha

.....3 turbos at once??
James Buchan
Goo Roo
V

Monday, January 31, 2022 - 11:00 am, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Beck wrote on Sunday, January 30, 2022 - 10:52 am:

Yeah, I was keen to do something different. Something that hadn't been done before - just as you did with the 3UZ transplant.

If it weren't for Kurt though, this wouldn't have happened as it wasn't just a simple bolt-up job.

My brother had a TT many years ago and I had my VVTI. At one point they had identical mods, yet the TT made nearly 40rwkw more. The VVTI was the more responsive car though. But in terms of sheer excitement, the TT was the car to have.

Oh good to hear it's coming together. Will your car retain AC etc? Is it one single turbo mounted at the front of the engine? (And won't interfere with all the active components?)
James Buchan
Goo Roo
V

Monday, January 31, 2022 - 11:01 am, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Beck wrote on Sunday, January 30, 2022 - 10:54 am:

It sure is a copper/brass Koyorad. I picked it up second hand for $235 dollars, it was being used on a JZS147 Aristo. It bolted right up to my fan shroud and has been performing well so far.
James Buchan
Goo Roo
V

Monday, January 31, 2022 - 11:08 am, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tai Johnsen wrote on Sunday, January 30, 2022 - 02:12 pm:

Thanks for the kind words Tai. Bit of a strange setup I have, but it works really well! Your setup has lots of wizardry and modern tech, so I must be doing something right with mine.
Mike Beck
Goo Roo
New Zealand
3UZ-FE V8 4.3 UZZ32

Monday, January 31, 2022 - 04:52 pm, by:  Mike Beck (Gold_40gt) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James Buchan wrote on Monday, January 31, 2022 - 11:00 am:

If it weren't for Kurt though, this wouldn't have happened as it wasn't just a simple bolt-up job.

My brother had a TT many years ago and I had my VVTI. At one point they had identical mods, yet the TT made nearly 40rwkw more. The VVTI was the more responsive car though. But in terms of sheer excitement, the TT was the car to have.

Oh good to hear it's coming together. Will your car retain AC etc? Is it one single turbo mounted at the front of the engine? (And won't interfere with all the active components?)

I suppose you've now created the best of both worlds, the twin setup surely has to flow more air than the single CT15 ever could.

James Buchan wrote on Monday, January 31, 2022 - 11:00 am:

Good questions haha, I've had to remove a/c lines for the intake and charge pipe to the turbo, but it will have modified ones installed so it can still work. The turbo is tucked up hard against the block / bellhousing below cylinder no 7, cross feed from the drivers side. I'm trying to make it quite modular and done in a way that is somewhat easily replicated. Not trying to make the most power out of this setup, but primary goals is that it's a clean looking quality setup, could be mistaken for being stock, good for around 300-350whp (last NA dyno I got 240rwhp with headers), of course I can't go too crazy with the weaker 3UZ, at least not unless I open it up and start changing pistons and rods - not sure I want to go that far though, the results will be nice but I really just enjoy the technical aspect of working it out and doing the work. Spending money is also fun haha.

James Buchan wrote on Monday, January 31, 2022 - 11:01 am:

It sure is a copper/brass Koyorad. I picked it up second hand for $235 dollars, it was being used on a JZS147 Aristo. It bolted right up to my fan shroud and has been performing well so far.

That's a steal, not sure if they still make them but proper old school style construction with the best material. Hate to think of what they would cost new, if still available in 2022!
Damien Nikiforides
Tinkerer
QLD
uzz32 (#805, #556)

Reg: 08-2011

Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 09:23 am, by:  Damien Nikiforides (D_nikiforides) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice build! Engine bay looks nice and tidy!
Like the cat too! :-)
James Buchan
Goo Roo
V

Sunday, February 06, 2022 - 08:37 pm, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Beck wrote on Monday, January 31, 2022 - 04:52 pm:

Figuring something out and putting it together is always the fun part. Proving things can work correctly too!

Yes, pretty happy with the price paid. I haven't seen any Koyorads like mine for sale, so assuming they're out of production. I've seen them for sale on Yahoo JP over the years.
James Buchan
Goo Roo
V

Sunday, February 06, 2022 - 08:38 pm, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damien Nikiforides wrote on Wednesday, February 02, 2022 - 09:23 am:

Thanks Damien, it all came together surprisingly well despite the custom fabrication required.
Chris Ferguson
Tinkerer
Qld
Soarer 1JZ VVT-I

Reg: 02-2013

Friday, February 25, 2022 - 08:51 am, by:  Chris Ferguson (Chris_ferguson) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're really good power figures. Probably as far as you'd want to go on the street. It's a credit to everyone involved.
What coils did you use with the elite?
James Buchan
Goo Roo
V

Thursday, March 03, 2022 - 11:00 am, by:  James Buchan (Jrbuch) Quote hilighted text Edit Post Delete Post Print Post   View Post/Check IP (Moderator/Admin Only) Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Chris. You're right, there's really no need for any more power for street driving.

It's using 1NZ coils from a Yaris. They're working fine currently, though if I were to upgrade I'd switch to R35 coils (as they have better reliability or so I'm led to believe)

Add Your Message Here
Eye Candy
Click for full size
Bold text Italics Underline Center Text Upload photo from your hard drive Make a List Make a Table Make an Image Thumbnail Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Formatting Help

Username: Important Posting Information:
If asking a question, have you done a search to see if your question has already been answered?
Be aware that the use of SMS-speak eg "u" instead of "you" etc, will get your post deleted.
Password:
Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message

Administration Administration      Log Out Log Out Previous Previous      Next Next